Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Back to School Night!


Image result for superhero wordsImage result for superhero wordsImage result for superhero words

September 19, 2017


Welcome fifth graders and parents:

I had the pleasure of meeting several of you already, but allow me to introduce myself:  my name is Suzanne Smith.  I have been a part of the Maplewood community for the past 22 years as a parent to three, PTA board member, volunteer, and finally teacher.  

This is a second (third?  fourth?) career for me and my 8th year of teaching. In addition to me, we are lucky to have a student teacher this year:  
Mr. Austin Connell.  He is currently in Lewis & Clark’s Masters in the Art of Teaching program and is excited to experience 5th graders!

In 2009 I received my M.A.T. degree from Lewis & Clark’s Graduate School of Education - the same program Austin is currently in.   I believe children are naturally curious, intrinsically imaginative, and thrive when learning is active, meaningful, and differentiated. I strive to create a safe and respectful learning environment that celebrates the unique contributions of our students, their families, and our school.  I love themes and connecting our learning across the curriculum.  

We are committed to lifelong learning, both for ourselves and our students.  Learning occurs in many places – not just in our classroom.  You have a big impact on your student’s success – whether it be at home or in the classroom.  I welcome you to volunteer in our classroom - not job is too small, be it copying or leading small group literature circles, copying, field-trip chaperone(s), and small groups (reading & math).  If you are interested please email me.




-over-




Here is what your students and I will study this school year:

Literature Block
  • Reading Street by Scott Foresman including grammar and comprehension
  • Read-Aloud ‘s
  • SSR = “Sustained Silent Reading” = kids read their own book!
  • Literature Circles

Writing
  • Writing with Grade 5 ‘Units of Study’ including:
    • Personal Narrative
    • Imaginative Narrative
    • Expository/Research  (Native American, musician & State Reports)
    • Persuasive - if time allows

Math
  • Bridges:  Portland Public School’s math curriculum     

Social Studies Units with Mr. Kaplan
  • Geography, Native American Unit and project, US History, and State Project

Science
  • Variables Unit, Earth, Moon & Sun Unit, and Microworlds Unit

Health
  • In the spring:  F.L.A.S.H.  (Family Life and Sexual Health)

Specials
  • P.E., library, dance, technology and ART.

Thank you for sending your student on time and ready by 8am!  Also, a big thank you for sending your student with 4 composition journals, cash or check made out to Maplewood for $40 for classroom supplies, and returning the OPENING SCHOOL PACKET with forms completed.  If for any reason any costs are a hardship at any point in the year, don’t hesitate to let me know and we will take care of it - no questions asked.

Email is the best method in which to contact me with any questions or concerns.  My email is ssmith@pps.net .  The school phone number is
(503) 916-6308 and our school secretary, Maria, will transfer you to our classroom between her hours of 7:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.  I can also be reached at: https://smithclass2018.blogspot.com/   I hope to post often – so stay tuned!  Also, ask your student to include you in their Google Classroom account.

Happy New School Year - it is going to be SUPER!

Ms. Smith

Maplewood, 5th Grade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Parent-Student-Teacher CONFERENCE sign-ups

Parent-Student-Teacher CONFERENCES 2018 signup.com